Yes, we are still on!
As of March 9, 2020, the Visit Austin Office made the following note: “Travelers to Austin can assure the city continues to be open for business. The Austin hospitality community is ready to welcome and serve convention attendees, visitors, and guests. There are no travel restrictions or advisories in the domestic U.S., which includes the State of Texas and Austin. Events with less than 2,500 people should proceed as normal.”
The Society is ready and very excited to spend DFW2020 with you in June. We will monitor the COVID-19 situation and follow the guidelines and recommendations of the CDC and the State of Texas.
With that in mind, make sure that you are paying close attention to personal hygiene:
- Wash your hands! You should wash your hands frequently and for at least 20 seconds. Wash your hands after you’ve been in a public place, after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing, and after you’ve interacted with others.
- When sneezing or coughing, cover with your elbow (not your hand) or a tissue–and then throw that tissue out! (Sorry if you love your hankies, but they’ve got to go!)
- Stop touching your face! Especially if your hands are unwashed, avoid touching your face, especially your mouth, nose, and eyes. We know that it may make you look pensive, but we’re sure you’ll find another way.
- Find a new way to greet people–no more shaking hands. You can elbow bump, or maybe we’ll come up with a special DFW2020 hand signal.
- If you are sick, STAY HOME! We will miss you and terribly, but wee’d prefer you keep your germs to yourself.
Unless and until we are told otherwise, DFW2020 is a go! If you have registered/will register and end up not being able to attend, just reach out to email@example.com to refund your registration. But not yet! We are planning on an amazing conference in June, and we hope to see you there.
In the meantime, stay safe, stay healthy, and think about that secret hand signal!